COP 28 – Mountains of Opportunity: How to Leverage Funding for Climate Adaptation
Mountain areas are key for climate adaptation efforts due to their transboundary and global importance (natural hazards, water towers, global biodiversity hotspots), high vulnerability to climate change, and tendency to host marginalized and isolated communities. This panel aims to discuss needs for adaptation funding in mountains and highlight pathways for leveraging finance further, such as finding synergies between mitigation and adaptation projects, and by highlighting examples at the national and regional level and from public and private funding representatives.
The event took place in person at the Cryosphere Pavilion in the Blue Zone at COP28. It was streamed online for the International Cryosphere Climate Initiative’s Youtube Channel.
Moderator: Alex Mackey, Project Manager, Zoï Environment Network
- Matthias Bachmann, Senior Policy Advisor, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Deepshikha Sharma, Climate and Environment Specialist, ICIMOD
- Nurlan Aitmurzaev, Special Envoy of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic on Mountain Issues
- Bapon Fakhruddin, Water Resources Management Senior Specialist, Green Climate Fund
- Sohail Malik, Technical Team Lead, Climate Resourcing Coordination Center
- Alenka Smerkolj, Secretary General of the Alpine Convention